What to do if things go wrong

If there is a problem with the house, please ring Joy on 07733 337037



Make sure everyone leaves the building. Leave personal possessions behind. Gather at a safe distance – eg the courtyard in front of the lighthouse.

Call the emergency services on 999

Call Joy on 07733 337037 or Ben on 07771702089


Turn off the stop-cock for the building. This is next to the dishwasher.

Please call Joy so she can call our plumber.

When things don’t work

If the power goes off in part of the house, you are welcome to check the circuit breakers. They are in the cupboard under the shelves on the right in the dining room/family room.

If the same circuit trips repeatedly, please unplug any appliance you think may have caused the problem. Call or text Joy and she will decide whether to call an electrician.

Please report any power cuts: there aren’t many people here so the Electricity Board may not know. The new national Freephone number is 105 or call 0800 300 999.

You can track the status of the power cut on ssen.co.uk/PowerCuts

There are emergency lamps on the dresser in the dining / family room. We check them every week, but please recharge them if you use them.

Ben can provide a camping gas stove, hot drinks etc, if the power cut continues. Come round to the main house (second green door in the lighthouse yard) or ring 07771702089.

There should be enough oil to heat the cottage during your stay. If the boiler or heating is not working, please check the relevant How-to video. If you can't fix it, please contact Joy and she will investigate the problem and get you warm again as quickly as possible. We want you to stay cosy!

Instruction booklets are in a folder in the sideboard in the dining room.

Instruction videos are in our How-to Guide.

If there is a fault with one of the appliances, please call or text Joy so she can investigate.

In the Highlands our repairs are done by independent trades people and replacements will come from Inverness so these things can take some time.

Damaged furniture is dangerous – for example if a damaged chair breaks when someone else sits on it.

Please tell us about any damage so we can fix it. We know accidents happen and won’t be upset.


For concerns about Covid19 and for non-emergency medical advice, phone 111

The NHS’s latest advice on Covid19

For medical emergencies, phone 999

You can receive emergency treatment from the local GP practice for 14 days. After 14 days you will need to register as a temporary or permanent patient.

Please do not go there without an appointment – phone the practice first

Riverview Medical Practice
Wick Medical Centre
Martha Terrace
01955 602355, Out of Hours: 111

Dr Ewan Pearson
Wick Medical Centre
Martha Terrace
01955 605 885, Out of Hours: 111

Find up to date information about emergency dental care and dentists in NHS Highland here: nhshighland.scot.nhs.uk/Services/Pages/Dentists

Contact the Dental Helpline on 0845 644 2271
or e-mail nhshighland.dentalhelpline@nhs.net

Phone the practice first, either for an appointment during the day or for emergency out of hours cover.

Donald S McGregor & Partners Ltd
Veterinary Surgery
Airport Industrial Estate
01955 602088


Scroll to Top